All classes are customized for the participants’ language level, goals, interests and specific needs, as well as learning styles.
Spanish class options effective December 3rd 2014:
(note: Spanish Boot Camp scheduling will affect private, semi-private and small group lesson scheduling.)
Private lessons and semi-private lessons
These lessons are customized for each individual student, taking into account their language level, goals, interests and learning style. We focus on all 4 language skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening, as well as discussing culturally relevant topics to increase understanding about Latin American and Spanish cultures and practices.
Mondays and Fridays
- private classes
- semi-private classes
Small group lessons
All group lessons have students with similar language ability so that everyone feels as ease and comfortable while learning Spanish.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
- Basic Beginners 11:30-12:30 pm
*Possible topics: greetings, days, months, weather, seasons, numbers, time, common phrases, basic conversation, the verb “hay”, gender of nouns, use of adjectives, vocabulary-house, restaurant, city, directions
- Beginners 12:30-1:30 pm
* Possible topics: learning to conjugate verbs in the present tense, stem- changing verbs, asking and answering questions, short dialogues, tener expressions, vocabulary-travel, food, living in Mexico, possessive adjectives
- Intermediate 1:30-2:30
*Possible topics: reflexive verbs, ser vs. estar, saber vs. conocer, preterite vs. imperfect tenses, direct and indirect object pronouns, comparisons and superlatives, gustar verbs, present progressive, por and para
Spanish Boot Camps
Spanish Boot Camps are an intensive language learning experience, which can be an immersion experience for the more advanced students. A variety of language levels are offered, ranging from those who have little to no experience with the Spanish language, beginners, and intermediate and advanced. The Boot Camps are consist of 3 hours for 3 days of Spanish instruction, activities, games, conversation, listening comprehension with the use of songs and more…
We offer Spanish Boot Camps of varying language levels.
- Here is the content and other information for the Basic Spanish Boot Camp, ideal for beginners who may have little or no previous experience with Spanish or those who want to review the basics.
- We will review common phrases, the alphabet and pronunciation, days of the week, months of the year, numbers, telling time, asking and answering questions and much more…
- Fun, interactive games and activities are used to enhance the learning process.
- Participants can join us for all 3 days, two days or just one day, depending on their schedules.
- Listed below is the information for Level 1 Spanish Boot Camp, which students may take after participating in the “Basic” Spanish Boot Camp.
- This Spanish Boot Camp is for students who know the basics (greetings, farewells, common expressions, days, months, numbers, etc.) and are ready to put sentences together in the present tense.
- We will focus on daily conversations and phrases, connecting with people, as well as asking and answering questions (in the present tense).
- Participants will learn the concept of conjugating verbs as well as utilizing common verbs used in daily life. This Boot Camp is also appropriate for students who want to review verb conjugations in the present tense, since I will be introducing this concept.
- We will also strengthen listening and speaking skills through the use of songs and dialogues, interviews with fellow classmates and much more…
- Participants can join us for all 3 days, 2 days, or just one day, depending on their schedule. However most have found that attending for all 3 days is the most beneficial.
- December 17-19 at 1-4 pm
- December 28-30 at 1-4 pm
- January 8-10 at 1-4 pm (Beginners-We will focus on conversational skills in the present tense while having fun!)
¿Qué Onda Isla? – Spanish and English conversation groups
This is a unique opportunity for English and Spanish students to come together and learn from each other with Christy Dix (English and Spanish teacher) as a conversation facilitator. This will be a friendly, fun and safe environment to practice speaking the language that the students have been learning. The students will pair up, one English student and one Spanish student and speak for the first 30 minutes in Spanish and the next 30 minutes in English. Christy Dix will facilitate the conversations and give participants a handout with vocabulary and questions to start conversations on the theme(s) for each meeting. These events have been a success and I look forward to seeing even more participants this time!
Who: Residents and visitors are welcome to participate
Language Level: All levels are welcome, but need to be open to helping mostly beginners in Spanish and English.
Theme: Getting to know new friends, hobbies and/or activities in Isla, Why do we like/live in Isla Mujeres?
*Twice a month-next date–Dec. 13 at 5-6pm (tentatively)
This is the first group that participated in “Qué Onda Isla”! Thanks to all who came out. Everyone made new friends and practiced using Spanish and English in authentic conversations.
In Conjunction with Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School
As part of the Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School Advanced Methods and Practicum courses, we also offer an Intensive Spanish Language Course that students can select as an addition to either their 6 week advanced methods or 3 week practicum course. This specialized training will be for 2 hours per day, 5 days a week.
NOTE: The number of days, hours or weeks can be adjusted per student based on their interest. Pricing will be adjusted accordingly.
Contact Christy Dix (email@example.com) or Todd Pierce (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contact Christy Dix for all pricing and scheduling inquiries.